Favorite Word Lists

Everyone needs a running list of favorite words. I for one am always trying new favorites. You should keep some on hand in case you get hungry: they're terrific snacks.

At the top of my list at present is presently. It's a lovely word because it means both "currently" and "soon." As in, "Presently I'll be writing about the words that are my favorites presently." Plus one can sorta imagine a bow on top.

Other favorites of the moment:
hove
hobnail
rangy
thrush (the bird, not the illness)
swift (the bird, not the tempo)
persimmon
quill
derring-do
trident

What are your favorite words? How do you keep them handy?

4 comments:

  1. This is a damn good list!

    Surreptitiously is one of my favorite words. I tend to like adverbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list

    I like old words;

    hither
    thither
    smitten
    oft

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome list!

    Mock - my daughter and i say it to each other when kidding around.

    also i like,

    however
    rather
    awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few favorites:

    lucullan (hard to work into ordinary conversation!)

    cerullean (used by someone like me who checked a thesaurus to describe the sky without saying "blue")

    sidle

    unreconstructed

    toady

    Words -- ain't they grand?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I love feedback.